This Asian Chicken Rice Bowl is my favorite go-to recipe for a busy weeknight. Not only nutrient packed and delicious, it comes together quickly and easily with ready-to-go items like rotisserie chicken and coleslaw salad mix. Many of the ingredients for this recipe are easy to keep on hand for when you need them! You can easily double the recipe for a potluck dinner or large group. Serving an entree at a party that does not need to be kept warm makes life infinitely easier. (Change the quantities of the chicken, rice, coleslaw mix, edamame, etc according to your personal taste!) SCROLL DOWN FOR RECIPE
Honestly, I love food bowls in general. And they are here to stay; they are definitely not a fad. They’ve actually been around a long time. They get their origins from Hawaiian and Brazilian culture with the poke and açaí bowls, respectively.
Why we love food bowls
Are you still eating your meals off a boring old plate, you’re missing out on one of the hottest new trends – food bowls. Not only do they look beautiful, they are super nutritious, flavorful and wonderfully filling.
You get your proteins, grains and vegetables altogether in one bowl, which is one of the reasons food bowls are so popular among healthy eaters. Have you noticed them popping up in restaurants? It almost seems they are competing against each other to offer the most creative and interesting bowls.
Food bowls are cost-effective and easy to make at home
Best of all, food bowls are cost-effective simple to make at home! One of my personal favorite reasons to make them at home is that they are completely customizable. You can change out the bases, toppings and dressings for an infinite number of delicious possibilities. This makes them especially wonderful for picky eaters.
Asian Chicken Rice Bowl
- 3 cups brown rice, precooked I use Minute Rice (cooks in 10 minutes)
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1-1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp fresh gingerroot, minced
- 4 cups packaged coleslaw mix
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded chicken, chilled (buy a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket for convenience)
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame, thawed
- 3 tbsp unsalted peanuts, chopped (Peanuts give a nice crunch and added flavor, but can easily be eliminated for those with nut allergies)
- Whisk together vinegar, green onion, sesame seeds, sesame oil, honey and gingerroot for the dressing.
- In a large bowl, toss coleslaw mix with cilantro, peanuts and shredded chicken.
- Add the dressing and toss again.
- Divide rice into portions in 6 bowls, adding 1/2 cup to each bowl.
- Top rice with slaw mixture and top with edamame (some like to mix the edamame into the slaw mixture - your choice!).
- Drizzle remaining dressing over the top of each bowl.
Check out our other 50PlusToday recipes!
Note: The Minute Brown Rice can be purchased here
Leave a Reply