- 1 1/3 cups tightly packed, cleaned and dried basil leaves
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, more if needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, more if needed
- 1 cup roughly chopped raw walnuts, divided into 2/3 cup and 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple (or similar), rinsed but not peeled
- Make the pesto: Combine basil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and 2/3 cup walnut in a food processor. Pulse until everything is the size of small grains. Next, run the motor as you stream in the oil until a smooth, creamy pesto forms. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed with more salt and lemon juice to balance. Add to a large bowl. The pesto should be flavorful and zingy.
- Cut the florets from the head of broccoli with about 2-inches of stem attached to each, then slice thinly until you have about 3 heaping cups of thinly sliced broccoli and pieces. It’s fine if some stalk gets in there, but it should be mostly floret/stem. Add the broccoli to the bowl with the pesto, stirring to coat the florets
- Slice the apple into 1/4-inch thick half-moon pieces, avoiding the seeds and stem as if you are cutting the apple slices for a snack (but thinner) Then, cut those pieces in half horizontally so you have twice as many, half-as-tall slices. Add those to the bowl, along with the remaining 1/3 cup crushed walnuts. Stir all to combine.Serve immediately, or cover and keep in fridge up to 3 days.
Option: Add blueberries or craisins for extra sweetness and fun!
recipe source: food52.com/recipes/78432-broccoli-salad-with-pesto-apples-walnuts