Table of Contents
originally posted 3/22/2020
We are all affected by the coronavirus pandemic, but some individuals more so than others. Food insecurity is twice as high as before the pandemic. If you are able to help and wondering the best way to do so, below are a few reputable organizations accepting donations. Also, check in with your local food banks and homeless shelters to find out what resources they may need.
Organizations currently accepting donations to fight hunger
- Feeding America has 200 food banks and 60,000 food pantries.
- Meals on Wheels delivers meals directly to the homes of seniors.
- Blessings in a Backpack helps feeds school children across the US
- Convoy of Hope delivers meals through partners, churches and community organizations across the US.
- FoodCorps works with school districts to ensure school meal sites can feed students that are out of school and their families.
- GENYOUth provides grants to schools to supply resources for meal distribution and delivery so students can be fed even when they are not at school due to Covid10.
- Meals on Wheels provides home delivery of food to seniors who find themselves more isolated than usual.
- Save the Children distributes hygiene kits, educating communities about the coronavirus, delivering nourishing meals to children who can no longer rely on school for food and supporting teachers who are holding virtual classes in 87 countries
- WhyHunger created a Covid-19 Rapid Response Fund to help the food insecure and launched a crowd sourced map to connect individuals with free meal sites, both in the U.S. and some communities around the world.
- No Kid Hungry works to end childhood hunger in the United States.
- Coronavirus Relief Fund supports immediate and long-term relief and recovery in vulnerable communities
- United Way helps families and people in need access critical information and services like food and shelter
- GoFundMe dedicated an entire section of the website to help small businesses affected by the Coronavirus
BEWARE OF SCAMS:
Unfortunately, there are people who take advantage of others in times of crisis. Scams are not uncommon, especially when informal campaigns are popping up on facebook and other online venues. The FTC put together some helpful information about how to avoid these scams. READ MORE
Other ways to help
Buying Local: Benefits, Methods and Tips
How to help loved ones who have regular doctor visits during the coronavirus outbreak
More Ways to support local businesses
How to give to support medical efforts:
CDC Foundation established the Crush COVID campaign which focuses on health equity, frontline workers and health protection campaigns.
CORE (Community Organized Relief Effort) partnered with community organizations and local governments nationwide to make testing accessible.
COVID-19 Solidarity Response Fund is a joint effort by the World Health Organization, UN Foundation and the Swiss Philanthropy Foundation created to support diagnostic testing, treatment and vaccine research and distribution of medical supplies.
Direct Relief is a humanitarian aid organization that provides protective equipment and critical care medications for health workers around the world.
Doctors Without Borders cares for patients, offers health education and mental health support, and provides training for vital infection control measures in health facilities around the world.
First Responders Children’s Foundation provides help for first responder families experiencing financial hardship due to the pandemic
Gary Sinise Foundation distributes grants to first responders in need of personal protective equipment and gives financial assistance to service members, health care professionals, veterans, first responders and their families that were impacted by the coronavirus.
Good360 works with their network of more than 90,000 non-profit partners to provide essential products to people in need.
Partners in Health established a Covid-19 response plan that includes testing, dignified care and assisting local government response.
Check back as this page will be updated frequently.
Leave a Reply