Easy Quinoa Recipe with Vegetables and Walnuts
Packed with flavor and healthy deliciousness, this easy quinoa recipe with vegetables and walnuts is sure to be a hit with even the pickiest eaters! Great as a side with your meal or as a vegetarian entree.
Quinoa with Vegetables and Walnuts
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa your choice, white or red
- 1 onion, small
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 medium carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup peas fresh are better, but frozen (defrosted) works well too!
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- Prepare quinoa. Start by rinsing in a bowl of cold water, Drain and repeat until the water is clear. Boil the water, then simmer. Add the quinoa and reduce heat to a simmer until water is absorbed 12-15 minutes. (You will see the quinoa seeds sprout little tails)
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy pan, saute the onion in oil about 2 minutes. Add garlic, carrots and red pepper and saute for another minute or two.
- Add peas to the pan, cooking and stirring until heated through.
- Stir in the cooked quinoa, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Transfer to a serving dish, fluff with fork, serve and enjoy!
Note: This is a great recipe that can be made quickly for your family or for company. You can substitute pistachios for the walnuts for a different flavor if you like! Sometimes I leave out the carrots and pepper if I am really in a rush, and the flavor is still truly wonderful with just the peas, onions and walnuts. If you have the time to chop the carrots and pepper though, these vegetables are a colorful addition to the dish and makes it a little more fun.