You’re going to LOVE this Healthy & Easy Recipe for Cucumber Pico de Gallo sent from Cara Lanz with Midwestern HomeLife! It’s a simple fresh salsa with a twist made with garden-fresh vegetables that’s ridiculously refreshing and delicious on grilled chicken or fish -or, of course, scooped up with chips. I think it just screams healthy and, of course, is very easy. The best part? You can make it in advance and store leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
Healthy Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 1 English cucumber
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1 jalepeno
- 2 limes
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 green onions
- 1/4 cup cilantro substitute parsley if you prefer
- salt to taste
- Dice the cucumber.
- Seed and dice the Roma tomatoes.
- Finely chop the red onion.
- Seed, remove the ribs, then finely chop the jalapeno.
- Mince the garlic.
- Slice the green onions.
- Finely chop the parsley or cilantro leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, jalapeno, garlic, and green onions. Add the lime zest, lime juice, and salt. Gently toss everything together.
- If you can stand it, wait about an hour before serving to give the flavors enough time to mingle.
About the Author: Cara Lanz
Cara is a 50Plusser who loves sharing her easy, healthy, and super-shareable recipes for simple weeknight dinners, holiday gatherings, and everything in between. Get inspired by her recipes for amazing apps, simple sides, and salads, fast and easy weeknight dinners, and delicious desserts at midwesternhomelife.com.
photo and recipe published with permission from Cara Lanz with Midwestern HomeLife
Review our other 50PlusToday recipes!