Unexpected company? Try these mini-apple pies. Simply amazing – easy to make, delicious to eat and loved by all. Serve with a side of warm caramel ice cream topping for dipping.
For parents and grandparents: These little bites are fun for kids to make! Simply wrap strips of pastry around apple wedges and shake on some cinnamon-sugar. Then just bake and watch them disappear!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 2 medium tart apples
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; reserve 1 tablespoon. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry sheets; roll and trim each to an 8-in. square. Brush with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Cut each square into eight 1-in. strips.
- Cut each apple into eight wedges; wrap one strip of pastry around each wedge, placing sugared side of pastry against the apple.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining butter; sprinkle with reserved sugar mixture. Bake 13-15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown. Serve warm.
1 serving: 163 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 108 mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Bite-Size Apple Pies in Taste of Home October 2011