When I was a teenager, I couldn’t wait to buy my first bra. I felt very much like Margaret in, “Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret”, as did all my friends. Going bra shopping for the first time with my mom was a big event. Well, those days are long gone. These days I can’t wait to take off my bra at the end of the day. Most women I know in my age group would agree.
I truly enjoyed bra shopping in my twenties. I had pretty lacy little bras in all different colors that fit well. It was easy to find a comfortable bra in those days. My breasts were much more perky and honestly, I’m not sure I even needed a bra. Things changed in my thirties after breastfeeding my two children. If I were to go back in time, I would not do things differently, but still, I did not appreciate the changes. My breasts continued to undergo even more changes as I aged, and wearing a bra became increasingly bothersome. I did not feel confident with my body and finding comfortable bras that gave me a nice silhouette was difficult. Now in my sixties and post-menopausal, I dislike wearing bras more than ever.
However, I recently found Wacoal Bras, the first brand that makes consistently comfortable and supportive bras for older women and I don’t mind wearing them. Have you tried them? They have all different types including full-figure bras, minimizers, strapless, t-shirt bras, and more.
Why the Criteria for the Best Bras for Mature Women Change Over the Years
The criteria for the best bras for mature women definitely change for many at this stage of the game. Menopause, a natural process that marks the end of a woman’s reproductive years, brings declining hormone levels, particularly estrogen and progesterone. As hormone levels decrease, the breast tissue often becomes less dense, and the overall size of the breasts becomes smaller. After menopause, our breasts generally lose some of their firmness and elasticity. The ligaments and connective tissues that support the breasts can weaken, and the result is sagging and less perky breasts. Not all women experience these changes to the same extent, but I know I’m not the only one who feels like their breasts are saggy. We need more support than ever before.
Menopause, along with aging, is a normal natural process all women go through. Why are we so hard on ourselves? Part of the reason is because we live in a world obsessed with youthfulness. The media preys on our insecurities to sell anti-aging products. Older women seem to feel particularly pressured to battle the signs of aging, and less perky breasts are one such sign. A study originally published in the European Journal of Ageing explored mature women’s perception of their breasts and their bra requirements. They surveyed 208 women aged 45–65 years and found that 84% of the women were not happy with the current appearance of their breasts. The women wanted improved bra designs that provided better shape and lift for their breasts as well as comfort.
Buying a New Bra as a Mature Woman: Is the Bra For You or To Please a Partner?
Recently, when I was out bra shopping, the salesperson, named Cynthia, asked me if the new bra was more for me or my partner. She encouraged me to purchase what I liked and not worry about what my partner might like, since I didn’t know for sure. What one person finds attractive or appealing may be different from another.
After thinking a bit about the question, I realized the most important aspect of a bra for a mature woman is that the person wearing it should feel confident, comfortable, and beautiful. It’s important to choose undergarments that make you feel good about yourself. But I did hope my partner liked what I chose too. I made a mental note that perhaps we should have an open and honest conversation about his preferences before the next shopping trip. That way, though the priority is to choose styles that make me feel my best, I could consider his input as well. Why not?
What Types of Bras Make the Best Bras For an Older Woman?
Cynthia assured me that plenty of designers focus on both beauty and comfort for bras for seniors these days. She also explained that some older women prefer bra styles that provide a lot of coverage, while others enjoy more revealing or daring designs. It ultimately depends on individual taste and comfort level. For me, the priority is comfort. Sure, I want to look and feel pretty, but I dread being stuffed into an uncomfortable bra for hours at a time, even if it looks good.
Cynthia told me there are five types of bras she thinks every woman age 50Plus should own. Here are her recommendations based on my personal preferences that I shared with her.
A Feel-Good Bra
Every woman knows that feeling of blissful freedom when an uncomfortable bra comes off at the end of the day. The truth is that a feel-good bra can have a positive impact on both physical comfort and emotional well-being. Here are a few reasons why owning a feel-good bra is important:
1. Comfort: A feel-good bra is designed to provide optimal comfort and support. It should fit well, offer the right amount of coverage and support, and have features like adjustable straps and secure closure. When you wear a bra that fits properly and feels comfortable, it can alleviate discomfort, minimize strain on your back and shoulders, and enhance your overall comfort throughout the day.
2. Confidence: Wearing a bra that makes you feel good can boost your confidence and self-esteem. When you feel supported and comfortable, it can positively impact your body image and make you feel more confident in your appearance. This confidence can extend beyond the physical aspect, influencing your overall mood and interactions with others.
3. Posture and Health: A well-fitted bra can help improve posture by providing proper support to the breasts and distributing weight evenly. This can contribute to better spinal alignment and reduce strain on the back and shoulders. Good posture is not only important for physical health but can also make you feel more confident and appear more poised.
4. Personal Style: A feel-good bra should align with your personal style and preferences. It’s an opportunity to express yourself and choose lingerie that makes you feel beautiful and empowered. Whether you prefer a simple and functional design or something more intricate and glamorous, owning a bra that reflects your style can add to your sense of self-expression and individuality.
5. Overall Well-being: Wearing a feel-good bra can positively impact your overall well-being by promoting physical comfort, body confidence, and a sense of self-care. Taking the time to invest in undergarments that make you feel good is a way to prioritize your own comfort and happiness, which can have a ripple effect on your overall quality of life.
Remember, every woman’s definition of a feel-good bra may vary. It’s important to find a bra that fits well, feels comfortable, and makes you feel confident and beautiful. Take the time to get properly fitted and explore different styles and brands to find the one that suits you best.
A Wire-Free Support Bra
Remember the old molded-cup underwire bras? They worked, but weren’t particularly comfortable, especially for long periods of time. I also never thought they looked all that natural. The updated support bras are wire-free and seamless. Women may choose to own a wire-free support bra for several reasons:
1. Comfort: Wire-free bras offer a high level of comfort compared to bras with underwire. Without the presence of an underwire, they eliminate the potential discomfort or poking that some women may experience. Wire-free bras are designed to provide support through other features such as wider bands, structured cups, or additional layers of fabric.
2. All-day wear: Wire-free support bras are often preferred for all-day wear, especially for activities that require extended periods of movement or physical activity. They provide a more flexible and unrestricted fit, allowing for ease of movement without sacrificing support.
3. Health considerations: Some women may choose wire-free bras due to specific health considerations. For example, women with certain breast conditions, post-surgical recovery, or breast sensitivity may find wire-free bras more suitable and less irritating. Additionally, wire-free bras can be a comfortable option during pregnancy or breastfeeding when the breasts may change in size and shape.
4. Natural shape: Wire-free bras are designed to provide support while allowing for a more natural shape. They can enhance the natural contours of the breasts without altering their appearance. Some women prefer this more relaxed and natural silhouette over the shaping effect of underwire bras.
5. Versatility: Wire-free bras are available in various styles, including sports bras, bralettes, and everyday bras. This versatility allows women to find a wire-free option that suits their specific needs and preferences for different occasions.
While wire-free bras offer comfort and support, they don’t always provide the same lift or shaping as those with wires for generously endowed women like me, So, while I prefer wireless bras, and found a few that worked well, I do still wear bras with wires sometimes.
A Sports Bra With Adequate Support
Do you do gentle yoga at home? Or are you an avid runner? Consider the level of impact when choosing your sports bra. Wearing a sports bra with the correct level of support is important for several reasons:
1. Comfort: A sports bra with proper support helps minimize discomfort and pain during physical activity. It reduces breast movement and provides stability, preventing excessive bouncing or jarring of breast tissue. This can help prevent discomfort, chafing, and potential damage to the ligaments supporting the breasts.
2. Injury prevention: During physical activity, especially high-impact exercises like running or jumping, the breasts can move significantly. Without proper support, this movement can strain Cooper’s ligaments, which are responsible for maintaining the shape and firmness of the breasts. Over time, unsupported breast movement can lead to sagging and potential long-term damage. A sports bra with the correct support reduces these risks and helps protect the breast tissue.
3. Enhanced performance: When breasts are properly supported, it allows for improved freedom of movement and range of motion. This can enhance performance by minimizing distractions, allowing you to focus on your activity, and maximizing your physical capabilities. It can also improve posture and overall comfort, leading to a more enjoyable and efficient workout.
4. Confidence: Wearing a sports bra that offers the right support can boost your confidence during physical activity. It provides a secure and comfortable fit, allowing you to move with confidence and without self-consciousness. This can have a positive impact on your mindset, motivation, and overall enjoyment of your workout or sports activity.
5. Long-term breast health: Wearing a sports bra with adequate support helps maintain the integrity and health of breast tissue. Reducing excessive movement and strain on the breasts, it may help minimize the risk of breast discomfort, pain, and potential long-term damage. Taking care of your breasts during physical activity is an important aspect of overall breast health.
It’s a good idea to get professionally fitted for a sports bra to ensure the correct size and level of support. Finding the right sports bra can significantly enhance your comfort, performance, confidence, and overall well-being during physical activities.
A Comfortable and Supportive Strapless Bra For Older Women
Many of us have an outfit or two that requires a strapless bra. Mature women, like women of any age, often have specific preferences and needs when looking for one. Here are some factors that mature women might consider when looking for a comfortable strapless bra for older women.
1. Support: As women age, they may want a strapless bra that provides excellent support for their breasts. Look for a bra with a strong underband and side boning to help lift and keep the breasts in place.
2. Comfort: Comfort is essential for all women, but it becomes even more critical as we age. Mature women might prefer a strapless bra with soft, breathable materials that won’t cause discomfort or irritation.
3. Fit: Getting the right fit is crucial for any bra, but it becomes even more challenging with a strapless bra. Mature women may want to ensure that the bra fits correctly, stays in place, and doesn’t slip down or dig into the skin.
4. Coverage: Some mature women may prefer a strapless bra with more coverage to feel secure and confident, especially if they have concerns about sagging or shape changes in their breasts.
5. Versatility: A strapless bra that can convert to different styles, such as a halter or crisscross back, can be beneficial for mature women who want options for various outfits and necklines.
6. Non-slip features: Mature women might seek a strapless bra with silicone strips or grip along the edges to prevent slipping and ensure the bra stays in place.
For years I avoided styles that required a strapless bra because I found them so uncomfortable. Happily, I found a comfortable one on my last shopping trip that works well and looks nice. You might need to try on several strapless bras before finding the “one”, but don’t give up. They are out there!
Pretty Black Lace Bra and Panty Set
I think we all need at least one romantic-looking black lace bra with matching panties in our drawer to pull out on occasion. Putting on these undergarments just feels special Here are some of the reasons to own a black lace bra and panty set.
1. Aesthetically pleasing: Black lace lingerie is often considered classic, elegant, and alluring. It can make a woman feel beautiful, feminine, and confident. Having a pretty black lace bra and panty set allows for indulging in the pleasure of wearing lingerie that is visually appealing and offers a touch of luxury.
2. Boosts self-confidence: Wearing lingerie that makes you feel attractive and sensual can boost self-confidence. The delicate lace detailing, combined with the color black, can evoke a sense of empowerment and allure. It can enhance body positivity, self-acceptance, and self-love by appreciating your own beauty.
3. Special occasions and intimate moments: A pretty black lace bra and panty set is perfect for special occasions or intimate moments. Whether it’s a romantic date night, anniversary, or simply wanting to feel special, having lingerie that makes you feel desirable and confident can enhance the experience and create a sense of intimacy.
4. Versatility: Black is a versatile color that pairs well with various outfits and occasions. A black lace bra and panty set can be worn discreetly under everyday clothing, adding a touch of femininity and sophistication to your daily attire. Additionally, it can be paired with other lingerie or hosiery pieces to create different looks for different occasions.
5. Personal expression: Lingerie is a form of self-expression. Owning a pretty black lace bra and panty set allows you to explore your personal style and indulge in something that reflects your individual tastes and desires. It’s an opportunity to embrace your femininity and express your unique personality.
6. Quality and comfort: Investing in a well-made black lace bra and panty set ensures that you have a high-quality lingerie set that offers both style and comfort. Look for sets that have adjustable straps, supportive underwire (if desired), and soft, breathable fabrics to ensure a comfortable fit.
You may not feel you need a pretty black lace bra and panty set, and that’s okay. It’s a personal choice. It’s about embracing your own desires, feeling confident in your own skin, celebrating your unique beauty, and feeling empowered.
What Do You Look For in a Bra For Mature Women?
What people look for in a bra for mature women is very personal. Everyone’s body is unique so a bra for one older woman that works well may not work for another. Is your priority comfort? Easy to put on and take off? Support and lift? And do you want your bra to look sexy? For me, comfort is king. That’s the main priority. But, I also want support and lift and I want it to look sexy.
Fortunately, these days, the selection of bras is much better than it used to be. There are lots of styles and brands available from which to choose. It’s essential to try on bras in the store to ensure the proper fit, or, better yet, get professionally fitted. Many stores help fit women for bras as a free service. The bottom line – it’s crucial for mature women, like all women, to feel good in their bras.
Here are some frequently asked questions about bras for mature women asked by our readers.
Do bra sizes change as women age?
Yes, it’s common for bra sizes to change over time, especially during and after menopause. Hormonal fluctuations, weight changes, and shifts in breast density can all contribute to changes in bra size.
How often should I replace my bras?
Bras should be replaced regularly, approximately every 6 to 12 months, or sooner if they show signs of wear and tear. As bras age, they lose their elasticity and support, which can affect comfort and fit.
Can I wear a strapless bra as a mature woman?
Yes, mature women can wear strapless bras. Look for strapless bras with strong underbands, non-slip features, and good support to ensure a comfortable fit.
Are there bras that provide extra coverage for mature women who prefer it?
Yes, there are bras with extra coverage designed to provide a more modest or conservative look. Look for bras with higher-cut cups and additional lining or padding if desired.
How can I prevent bra straps from digging into my shoulders?
To prevent bra strap discomfort, consider wearing bras with wider and padded straps. Additionally, adjusting the straps to the right length can also help distribute the weight more evenly.
Can wearing a bra at night prevent breast sagging?
There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that wearing a bra at night prevents breast sagging. It’s generally recommended to go braless at night to allow the breasts to breathe and rest comfortably.